If you have frizzy hair, some days it can feel like your luscious locks have a mind of their own. Some women are blessed with naturally perfect curls that fall into line easily. Others spend hours fighting to get their hair to do what they want. We wanted to find a solution to this problem, and our lovely artist Shermin told us about Keratin Treatments. Keratin Treatments can Eliminate up to 95% or frizz and curl, leaving you with straight, smooth hair for up to 8 months. Keratin Treatments infuse hair with high-quality natural keratin that penetrates deep into damaged hair cuticles and envelopes the hair follicle with a keratinous bond to promote healing, all while keeping environmental toxins such as pollution and UV rays out. This all sounded too good to be true, so we decided to see for ourselves!
Our sweet friend Christen offered up herself and her gorgeous mane of hair as our test subject. Preparing for the treatment was easy and the treatment itself is relaxing and painless. The Keratin is applied to the hair and then a flat iron is used to infuse the treatment into the hair and straighten it at the same time. Christen did mention that after the treatment, her hair was straighter than she had originally anticipated, and felt slightly filmy after (which is normal). Once washed (you have to wait 72 hours before washing the product out of your hair) it was very quick to blow-dry and virtually no maintenance. Christen loved how soft and silky her hair felt, as well as the time she saved not having to blow-dry and flat iron her hair after every wash. This treatment did exactly what it was supposed to and left her hair much healthier than other chemical treatments have in the past. The treatment makes your hair super easy to style, so don’t worry about being stuck with straight hair the whole time. We would definitely recommend this treatment!
If you are considering this treatment, here are a few things you need to know:
Before Your Treatment:
- The right before your treatment, wash your hair with clarifying shampoo. Do not use conditioner. You may want to shampoo several times to increase the performance of the treatment. Any oils, products or conditioner left in the hair may affect the treatment performance and penetration.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly and make sure that it is completely dry before arriving for your appointment.
- Do not use any products on your hair after shampooing.
After Your Treatment:
- Do not wash your hair for 72 hours after your treatment.
- Do not use hair pins, clips, ponytails or any hair accessories in your hair between treatment and washing.
- If you notice any kinks or curls use a flat iron to straighten them
- If your hair becomes wet prior to your first wash, blow dry and then flat iron it.
- Once 72 hours has passed, wash your hair with sodium chloride and sulphate free shampoo. Do not condition your hair (you may not need to!)
- Blow dry your hair in sections using a paddle brush. You may use hair products, however, keep in mind that your hair’s texture will be silky and smooth, so you may not need the same products you normally use. Some products may decrease the longevity of your treatment. You shouldn’t need any products because the weight of the proteins from the treatment will hold your hair in the right style.
- Results depend on treatment type, curl type, porosity, the frequency of washing, and how well you follow these directions.
Christa Lalonde is the Blogger/Coordinator for Faye Smith Makeup and Hair. She would love it if you subscribed to this blog.